Sploder – Game Types

Sploder is a website where you can play and create some different types of games.

www.sploder.com *Note* Use Internet Explorer with this site. I have had the most success while using it. Update your Adobe Flash Player to the latest version as well.

Platformer

Volcanic Peril: Platformer game where you have some basic controls to move and jump and swing your sword. There is lava that you can fall in. Seems to be scrolling to the right. I made it far enough to get a couple of enemies and then I got hit and dizzily ran into the lava. There are several obstacles in your way and have not gotten very far.

Journey to the Clouds: Similar game to the one above with the same mechanics. This one has text appearing as you walk to have the other characters tell the story.

Puzzle Maker

Algorithm Crew

Classic Shooter

I played the game “Very Easy” which was a classic arcade shooter type of game. The object of the game was to control your purple spaceship and move around to collect all the crystals in a level while destroying some blocks and avoiding/defeating the dangerous spiders that got in your way. Simple concept, collect the crystals, shoot lasers at the bad guys. Reminded me of games you would see at the arcade and a Space Invaders type game.

The controls were again a theme for me in these games. Move forward, backward, left and right seemed self explanatory, but the ship you were controlling spun around and often moved in a different direction than the arrow key you were pressing.

I am not sure the educational value of this type of game, unless you could tweak it to say a math concept where your “crystals” were numbers and you could have equations pop up on the screen and you had to shoot lasers at the correct numbers. Playing these types of games could be a fun throwback to being at the arcades in the 80’s though.

http://www.sploder.com/games/members/jkboy/play/very-easy-2/

Arcade

Haskell’s Test Game is a game that will remind you of a classic platformer arcade like Super Mario Bros. and has some familiar elements. You collect coins and can jump on bad guys to defeat them and a goal to reach the end of the level.

The first stage of level 1 is basic and a good one to give you a tutorial on how the game works and the controls. I like how the tutorial appears in chunks throughout this level. As you come across something you need to learn, the learning is provided to the player at that point. Collect some coins, jump over a couple obstacles and a couple of bad guys and you are at the end of the level.

The second stage ramps up the challenge, but it also provides you with a few different ways to approach it. This reminds me of Super Mario World type level where you can climb the vine up to the clouds and collect coins that way, go the traditional route on the ground, and there is some water along with a tunnel below.

http://www.sploder.com/games/members/boisestate/play/haskells-test-game/