Gamification in Education

Gamification

Created by Knewton and Column Five Media

This is an excellent graphic that not only illustrates the various components of gamification but also a timeline of gamified learning over the past 30 years.

My own timeline with gamified learning started sometime in the mid-late 1980’s. I recall playing games like Reader Rabbit on the computer and had other games like Double Dribble and Double Dare on floppy disks. I had a Nintendo and played games such as Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros. Not mentioned on the timeline, but I also remember prior to this we had a Texas Instruments computer at home and playing games on the Commodore 64 at school. Most of my gameplay was console based during the 90’s until it tailed off for awhile until a few years ago when my son’s own interest in video games along with trying to figure out ways to incorporate games into learning in the classroom has reinvigorated this interest in games for learning.

I’d like to create some type of quest based role playing game where students will complete a quest to gather information and learn and apply that learning in some way. Minecraft is another great tool as it is an open world that can be modified and has endless possibilities for learning and creating for the students.

The Tech Integrator